People often think that to be a leader, you need to have the title. But leadership has nothing to do with a title.
- When you are a problem solver, people will turn to you.
- When you get things done, people will rely on you.
- When people trust you, they will let you take the lead.
Our best performing Freedom Makers are the ones who stay one step ahead of our clients, and solve problems. They do this while understanding how the client wants to be “managed.” They are quick learners, flexible, and open to new ideas and platforms.
- Stay one step ahead. Learn to anticipate what your boss or client is going to need and get it ready before they ask.
- Solve problems. Some problems just need to be taken care of and you know exactly how to do it.
- “Manage” your boss/client. Sometimes they do not want you to do anything without talking with them first. Others want it to be “magically” done. Figure out their preference and take action accordingly.
- Quick learning. Business owners have a lot on their plate. They do not like to repeat themselves. If they do not have a system in place, make your own checklist so you do not have to ask them again.
- Flexible. Busy people are constantly changing direction or their minds. For example, if they need to change their flight but it is expensive (yet still within their budget), just take care of it.
- Open to new ideas and platforms. In this day and age, new technology is coming on the market all the time. Being open to it will allow you to contribute the most whenever the organization shifts directions.
Many of these traits can apply to any non-titled leadership role. Maybe you sit on a board or volunteer to run sports teams or school organizations. The ability to stay one step ahead, solve problems, influence others, learn quickly, be flexible, and be open all contribute to others following you, regardless of your title.
In The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell, from a borrowed Michael Korda lesson, we learn the following:
“Great leaders are almost always great simplifiers who can cut through argument, debate and doubt, to offer a solution everybody can understand!”
Go forth, solve problems with solutions your boss/client can understand. Be the leader they need you to be.